Parent Question – How to Request a School Change

Yesterday evening, we received a question from a parent via our Facebook page. Specifically, we were asked how to request a change of schools. Here’s the process:

  1. Except for the Nature Kindergarten and the French Immersion programs, all students must first register in their neighbourhood’s home school. In the cases of Nature Kindergarten and French Immersion, the application is made directly to those programs. However, in the event that a space isn’t available in those programs, the registration automatically reverts back to the neighbourhood home school. Our on-line registration system takes care of that for families automatically.
  2. A parent or guardian can make a school change request. Basically, this is a request to have your child attend a school that is not your neighbourhood’s home school. There are a variety of reasons why these requests are made. School change requests must be filed at the student’s neighbourhood home school. This must be done in person as we haven’t automated these requests yet. The forms are available at your neighbourhood’s home school.
  3. The neighbourhood home school will put the request on file. This allows the school you’ve requested to see that a form has been submitted.
  4. Later in the spring, if a request can be granted, the requested school will contact the family and advise them that the request has been granted. These requests are always subject to availability of space in the school. All schools are required to ensure that there is enough space in them to accommodate children from the local neighbourhood first. It’s only if there is additional space that a request might be granted. Also, if space is limited, a school may not be able to definitively say whether a request is granted until as late as mid-September. If you haven’t heard from the requested school by the end of June, you can always contact your neighbourhood home school to check on the status of your request.
  5. Unfulfilled school change requests remain active until December 31st of the school year for which they are requested. For example, if a family requests a school change today (January 26th, 2015) for the 2015/2016 school year, and it hasn’t been granted by December 31st, 2015, the request will be archived at that time. If the family wishes to make a new request for the following school year (in this case for the 2016/2017 year), they will have to refile in January 2016.

We hope this answers parents’ and guardians’ questions about school change requests.

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Parent Question – How to Request a School Change

Comments are closed.